Civil Partnership

For a more detailed discussion of your requirements, free of charge and without any obligation, please contact

Charlotte Savage on 01623 460444 or by e-mail

Civil Partnership or Same Sex Marriage

Alcocks are specialised in providing advice for same sex couples who are looking to formalise their relationship by entering into a civil partnership or same sex marriage. Your lawyer will be able to advise you of the legal implications of your new partnership and should your relationship breakdown, will make sure you are aware how this will effect financial and children related matters.

Please see our Family and Divorce page which provides additional information applicable to both heterosexual and same sex marriages.

Alcocks offers an initial consultation at a fee of £150 +VAT, which is payable twenty four hours in advance of the appointment.  We are committed to providing the best possible legal advice at affordable prices.

If you would like to talk to someone about your personal situation, please contact

Charlotte Savage on 01623 460444 or by e-mail

Civil Partnerships and Same Sex Marriages – what they mean for you

The first Civil Partnerships were formed on 21 December 2005, after the Civil Partnerships Act 2005 came into effect on 5 December 2005. The reason for the delay is that the law requires a minimum of 15 days’ notice of an intending civil partnership to be given before it can be undertaken.

The law to allow Same-sex marriages in England and Wales was passed in Parliament in July 2013 and came into force on 13th March 2014, the first same sex marriages took place on 29th March 2014. Scotland will follow suit in Autumn 2014.

Same-sex marriages contracted abroad, however, have been recognised as valid from 5 December 2005. Whilst the legal formalities may differ from those of marriage, the practicalities make them almost identical, including the granting of the full range of paternity and child care tights enjoyed by married couples.

A civil partnership can be terminated only by death, legal dissolution or annulment and dissolution and is allowed, as in marriage, only on the grounds of irretrievable breakdown. One difference between civil partnerships and marriage is that adultery is not a ground for irretrievable breakdown in the former, but is in the latter.

On the breakdown of a civil partnership, the normal claims for financial relief – such as division of assets and maintenance payments – apply as in a marriage and it is virtually certain that the courts will take much the same approach towards such matters in dissolutions of civil partnerships as they do in the breakdowns of marriages.

Civil partners have the equivalent rights of a spouse on the death of their civil partner, so the same sort of thinking needs to be applied towards the planning wills and Inheritance Tax as should be done by married couples. A civil partnership, like a marriage, invalidates an earlier will.